Chronic pain affects about 20% of the population with 7% of those affected having pain which is severely disabling. This sort of pain affects every aspect of life and can be very complex to manage. The main aim of this campaign to to shift the emphasis from curing chronic pain to learning how to manage your pain so that you can live life to the full.
Drugs are only part of the solution.
At Barnton Pharmacy we are delighted to talk to you about your pain medication, to make sure you are getting the most out of it and not having any adverse effects.
In particular we can help with:
- The best times to take your medicines to fit in with your lifestyle.
- How to manage any side effects
- Offering sign posting to some of the other support services available.
- The Managed Knowledge Network website on chronic pain contains masses of information on pain and also links to different pain support groups.
- Pain Concern provides information and support through leaflets, a magazine and an online forum. you can also download a series of podcasts bringing together people living with pain and top pain specialists to talk about resources which can help.
- Pain Association Scotland provide a network of professionally led self management training groups throughout Scotland. The groups follow a programme of self management topics that helps to build skills and understanding.